I have always been very comfortable with telling people “I don’t know”. I am a father of two kids, so according to them I haven’t known much for a long time. Even in Admissions, I am comfortable saying I don’t know. Will I get admitted if I do X? Will I get a full season of football tickets as a freshman? Will all my classes be after 9 a.m.? Will I get a scholarship if I have X GPA and Y test scores? Will I be able to get into the first Orientation session? Will I get off the Wait List if I do X? I cannot guess about any of these things. I used to think that that these questions were the hard ones to answer, but if nothing else, the first six months of 2020 has taught me that I truly do not know the answers to a lot more important things.
Here is a brief list of some of the things I don’t know at this moment:
- I don’t know exactly how things are going to work on college campuses in the Fall.
- I don’t know about college football, fans at the stadiums, tailgating, or how many games we will win.
- I don’t know if my socks actually match right now.
- I don’t know when we will be able to have tours and information sessions.
- I don’t know exactly how classes will run throughout the year.
- I don’t know the air speed velocity of an unladened swallow (thank you Monty Python!).
- I don’t know exactly how we will be looking at all the different admissions factors next year.
- I don’t know the exact timing of our decision release dates for next year yet (so don’t ask).
- I don’t know exactly how we will be interacting with prospective students in the upcoming months.
What I do know is this:
- I do know that UGA has an amazing community of students, professors, staff members and alumni.
- I do know that we are all here for the students and their families.
- I do know that the UGA community is going to do it’s best to make the fall semester great.
- I do know that I will be wearing Red and Black this Fall.
- I do know that we have a resilient team of faculty and staff who can and will shift on the fly to do what is needed.
- I do know that our university will work hard to make this a great term, whether it is your first one as a freshman or your last one as a senior.
- I do know that our Student Affairs team is working hard to make the 2020-2021 year great, and will find pathways around the obstacles.
- I do know that I will still be Calling the Dawgs.
- I do know that we are Georgia. The Dawgs. Bulldawg Strong. The UGA Family.