I am happy to announce the newest program on campus for all First-Year students starting in Fall of 2011 (and beyond), the First-Year Odyssey program! This seminar program is designed for all new freshmen, and is geared towards connecting freshmen with faculty members in a small group environment (estimated class size is 15-18 students). The First-Year Odyssey program website just opened up, and you can now search from among the wide (and wild) variety of courses available. Every freshman starting in Fall 2011 is required to take a First-Year Odyssey course by the end of their first year at UGA, so you will want to start reviewing the options and make a list of the ones that interest you. You might even have a class with the Provost, the President, or the Dean of a college. This is an amazing new opportunity, and I am excited about this program.
Here are a few examples of the 300+ FYO courses offered:
- The CIA in War and Peace
- Prediction: The Science of What Comes Next
- Books That Changed the World
- Chocolate Science
- Nature versus Nurture: The Role of Genetics in Your Life
- Comics in Context
- And They’re Off: A History of Horse Racing
- Telling on Retail
- AA for Uncle Sam’s Oil Addiction
- Chickenology: Everything You Need to Know about Chickens
- Bollywood: Film, Narrative and Culture
Please remember that this is a brand new program at UGA, and the website just opened up, so please be patient if there are a few things that need to be altered or corrected over the first few days.