To qualify for consideration to transfer to UGA you must:
- Have 60 or more hours of transferable credit by the application deadline
- Have complete at least one full year of college (post high school) by the time of intended enrollment and have graduated from high school at least 12 months prior to the intended UGA enrollment
- Must have a 2.8 or higher transfer GPA to be considered for admission, though there is no minimum GPA that guarantees admission.
- Have 30-59 semester hours of transferable credit by the application deadline
- Have completed at least one year of college (post high school) by the term of intended enrollment
- Must have a 3.20 or higher transfer GPA to be considered for admission, though there is no minimum GPA that guarantees admission.
- Admission as a transfer student to UGA cannot be assured and can also be dependent on space availability within the University.
Students who have not completed 30 or more transferable hours following their graduation from high school are ineligible for transfer admission. Students must have at least one complete year of full-time college enrollment resulting in 30 or more transferable hours delivered on their official college transcripts by the transfer application deadline to be considered for transfer admission to UGA.
Advanced Placement credit will only count toward meeting admissions criteria if it adequately represented on another college's transcript. The credit must be identifiable as AP, have a course designation at the college (ex. ENGL1101), and credit hours (ex. 3). If UGA Admissions cannot determine from the transcript the course or hours or if it is AP credit, the credit will not be included in transferable hours.
The First-Year and Transfer application review are separate processes. A decision made for a First-Year applicant has no bearing on future application decisions.
Basically, no. But UGA only accepts coursework from United States institutions accredited by the regional organizations of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. An Outsourced Credit Evaluation is required for Non-U.S. institutions. Transferable credit from a community or technical college is generally listed in their transfer/general education core. Advanced placement credit listed as specific courses on a college transcript may be transferable. Non-academic, sub-college level, non-credit, experiential learning, professional certification and areas of study not also taught at UGA will not be transferred.
Official transcript(s) from all colleges or universities ever attended, including work completed through joint or dual enrollment programs, through study abroad work, or through work completed as a summer transient or any other program, are required for a complete application.
We cannot tell students what courses definitely will or will not transfer until an application and transcripts are submitted. For admitted students, we will provide a list of all UGA courses for which a student has received credit.
Courses designed to apply towards a Bachelor Degree generally transfer. Some types of courses that may not transfer include: Experience or Institutional Placement, Non-academic courses (Internships, Workshops, Practicums, etc.), Music performance beyond 4 hours, PE beyond 1 hour (no grade used) and Bachelor Degree level areas of study not taught by UGA (Nursing, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, etc.).
Our Transfer Equivalency Search System contains courses that have already been researched for other UGA students. Please note these course equivalencies are subject to change.
The first 4 letters are the UGA prefix, (ex. MATH) the next number is the course level (2) and the last 3 are the course designation (TXX, GXX or numbers).
Transfer Electives have (T) designations (ex. MATH2TXX)
General Education Core Electives have (G) designations (ex. MATH2GXX)
Direct Equivalents have number designations (ex. MATH2250)
NTFR prefix indicates a course does not transfer to UGA (ex. NTFR0TXX)
Transferring Courses that do not match to existing UGA courses because of content, hours or UGA Departmental instructions are transferred as electives.
Beyond the general rule for transfer (Bachelor’s Degree Level courses should transfer), Prospective students and applicants will need to wait until they are admitted for more information. Current students may contact their UGA advisors or departments.
Transferring Courses that do not match to existing UGA courses, but satisfy core at another University System of Georgia (USG) school, or some non-USG schools are coded to satisfy core requirements as electives.
USG course College Algebra MATH1111 = MATH1GXX automatically satisfies Core Area 1/A or
3 hour USG course Intro Spanish SPAN1001 = SPAN1GXX automatically satisfies Core similarly to the UGA 4 hour Intro Spanish SPAN1001.
Some courses may transfer differently if combined with other courses or additional hours may transfer as electives.
Examples include: A 3 hour science course or 1 hour lab may transfer as an elective if both were not completed, a 4 hour transfer course may transfer as a 3 hour UGA course and 1 hour elective, College Algebra (USG ID: MATH1111) combined with Trigonometry (USG ID: MATH1112) may transfer as Pre-Calculus (USG ID: MATH1113) and a General Education Core elective (MATH1GXX).
In calculating your GPA, we use all academic grades you have earned in transferable courses (including Ds, Fs, and WFs) from every college you have attended. If a course is repeated, we will use both grades. As well, we only review transfer work with specific course titles, course numbers and credit hours.
A non-traditional applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
- Out of high school for at least five years (high school class graduated at least 5 years ago)
- High school diploma from an accredited high school or satisfactory completion of GED
- Fewer than 30 transferable semester hours of college credit
Minimum considerations include:
- 2.5 grade point average in high school and/or college
- Minimum test scores of at least one of the following:
- SAT: 430 (CR) / 400 (M)
- ACT: 17 (E) / 17 (M)
- Compass: 74 (R) / 60 (E) / 37 (M)
Applications must include all of the following items:
- Online application - transfer application, choosing the non-traditional option
- $60.00 application fee
- Official high school transcript
- Official college transcript (if multiple schools attended, please submit an official transcript from each institution)
- A personal statement detailing activities since high school and explaining intentions to enroll at the University of Georgia
- Current SAT, ACT or Compass exam results. For information about the Compass exam, please contact University Testing Services
Starting in the Fall of 2014, the UGA Admissions Office is using plus/minus grades in the calculation of your transfer GPA. For a UGA GPA, we will translate the plus/minus work into the grade scale of UGA, and the HOPE scholarship program does not accept plus/minus grades.
You can find the dates that the transfer application becomes available and the deadlines here.